Saturday 13 August 2011

Graduating in 2011.


Due to the current state of the economy and the naturally back handed and back stabbing ways of the government, being a graduate in the summer of 2011 is disheartening and difficult. In particular the arts and media jobs are being affected whilst, sales, recruitment and finance jobs thrive in our ever growing consumerist society.



Nevertheless there are still opportunities right? Plentiful internships and work experience are available and so for those who are determined and want to succeed, it simply must mean making the best of a bad situation and embracing the opportunities to learn in a working environment. However, I would say, much like Heller's Yossarian we will inevitably be left finding ourselves in many a catch 22 predicament.



Apart from those who are privately educated, second cousin twice removed to the Queen, and use £50 notes for toilet paper the rest of us have little chance of survival. With most major arts and media head offices situated in the capital and the cost of commute being higher than ever (thanks to Thatcher) we are most certainly left with a catch 22 situation: How is it possible to hold down a job, to fund a commute in order to work for free, to earn the experience that companies insist that you have? Well, it isn't. Unless you are fortunate enough to live in the heart of the capital and could be home from a full day's free work in time to work an evening job (and have no life for a few years) then we are stuck. Consequently, the infamous British value to work hard, earn money and only enjoy yourself when you’ve truly earned it is thus being forced away. If there are few jobs available I would suggest people’s values will be forced to change- I know mine are already in the short space of time that I have been “out there” looking for a career.
 But surely we have no choice? If we are unable to get enjoyment out of work then we must seek enjoyment elsewhere. Unfortunately, I fear, with the recent video footage of rioters at the front my mind that this could be catastrophic for Britain. The violence of the rioters simply illustrated their desperation for material gain in a society where the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Following that, having returned from holiday three days later, David Cameron’s speech about our society’s values and the need for us to change was infuriating. I wonder if he is familiar with the term “practice what you preach?” and recognises that the government should take responsibility for the way that our society is driven?



Being a graduate in 2011 has left me to consider all of these options and exploring many ways and routes to achieve my ambitions and goals. And I have come to the resolution that it is going to take a very very long time.  For now, I have given up trying to find my dream job in London and the defeatist part of me thinks what is the point anyhow? The jobs I seek are few and far between and thousands of graduates who are desperate to work in the media are right behind me applying for the odd short lived internship. The world is enough of a depressing place without the inevitable rejection that encompasses us in 2011. For me, it will simply mean walking a different road to my goals, but I would like to think that I will end up at the same destination as a more grounded, insightful and grateful person. And so for now, I will live with my parents (like many other graduates) for possibly another decade until I have a job that will allow me to scrape together a deposit for a mortgage. However, I will endeavour to embrace opportunities, be creative, astute and travel the world to get some perspective on this capitalist, consumerist phenomenon that the class of 2011 face.

No comments:

Post a Comment